July 31, 2013

Introducing the "Suhoothie" recipe - Smoothie for Suhoor

My first Ramadan back in 2002 was a fun, exciting and highly spiritual experience I will always remember with a smile ; falling asleep on the prayer mat during fajr morning prayer (that's if I heard the alarm), somehow learning Arabic verses with the wrong pronounciation, breaking my fast with Diet Coke and chocolate (that was another year when I piled on the pounds), feeling lost during Taraweh, sleeping all day etc...

I also remember the incredible feeling after completing a full day of fasting and all five prayers for the first time. I was on top of the world and I felt full of radiance and light!

Over the years, I have worked hard on figuring out what works best for my health and diet during Ramadan. Year after year, I welcome Ramadan as a much-needed purification for the soul, mind and body.

This month, I developed and perfected my smoothie recipe that I whip up for the morning meal suhoor :
1) it is filling (but not heavy on the stomach) and provides the necessary nutritional values you'll need in the morning
2) it keeps you hydrated,
3) it contains vitamins, oils and fat (the good kind) that are essential to our well-being
4) the whey powder gives me the protein I need as a vegetarian, but also reduces hunger and improves the immune system

Basically, it boosts your energy for the rest of the day and brings countless health benefits to your body. I call it the "SUHOOTHIE"!



Banana & Strawberry Suhoothie Recipe

Blend together the following ingredients for 1 minute:
- 1 cup of almond milk (or coconut, hazelnut, rice-vanilla as you wish - it's even better if you alternate every day)
- 2 bananas
- a handful of strawberries (or blueberries, or both)
- a handful of freshly-grated coconut
- 1 tbsp of plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of whey protein powder
- a pinch of cinnamon

I sometimes add a cup of quick-cooking oats to add fiber and for a thicker texture.

Divide between two tall glasses and serve. Enjoy and it's time to pray fajr!

No comments:

Post a Comment